Recommended Gentle Iron Supplement
Iron is an essential mineral that plays a critical role in many bodily functions, including the production of red blood cells, transportation of oxygen, and maintenance of a healthy immune system. However, many people do not consume enough iron through their diets, and as a result, they may develop an iron deficiency. In this article, we will explore the symptoms of iron deficiency, the benefits of gentle iron supplements, and what makes for a good supplement.
Plus, we encourage you to talk to a functional medicine doctor about your supplements. At Five Journeys, we use functional medicine to promote whole-body healing. We realize that your symptoms may have a hidden cause. In many cases, a vitamin deficiency (like low iron) is to blame for low energy and overall sluggishness. Or you may be suffering from a number of deficiencies that can be identified only by a trained professional.
So, before you run out and buy a bottle of gentle iron supplements, schedule an appointment with Five Journeys to go over your nutritional needs.
Symptoms of Iron Deficiency
Iron deficiency is a common problem that affects many people, particularly women and young children. The symptoms of iron deficiency can be mild or severe and may include the following:
- Fatigue: Iron plays a crucial role in the production of red blood cells, which are responsible for carrying oxygen throughout the body. When there is not enough iron in the body, the production of red blood cells is decreased, leading to fatigue and weakness as the most common symptom of iron deficiency.
- Shortness of breath: Iron deficiency can also cause shortness of breath, particularly during physical activity. This is because the body is not receiving enough oxygen to support its energy needs.
- Pale skin: A lack of sufficient iron can cause the skin to become pale or white in color. This is because there are fewer red blood cells to carry oxygen to the skin.
- Weakness: Without enough iron, the muscles grow weaker, making it difficult to perform everyday tasks.
- Brittle nails: Iron deficiency can cause the nails to become brittle and break easily.
- Headaches: A lack of iron can cause headaches, particularly when the body is not receiving enough oxygen.
Benefits of Iron Supplements
Iron supplements are an effective way to treat iron deficiency and can help alleviate many of the symptoms associated with this condition. Gentle iron supplements work by increasing the amount of iron in the body, which helps to increase the production of red blood cells and improve oxygen transportation throughout the body.
Gentle iron supplements can be especially beneficial for women who are pregnant or menstruating. During pregnancy, the body requires more iron to support the growing fetus. Women who are menstruating also lose iron through blood loss, which can lead to iron deficiency if not properly replenished.
What Makes for a Good Supplement?
When choosing a gentle iron supplement, it is important to consider several factors to ensure that you are selecting a high-quality product. Here are some factors to consider:
1. Type of Iron: There are two types of gentle iron supplements – heme and non-heme. Heme iron is derived from animal sources and is more easily absorbed by the body. Non-heme iron is derived from plant sources and is less easily absorbed. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, it is important to choose a non-heme iron supplement.
2. Dosage: The recommended daily intake of iron varies depending on age, gender, and overall health. It is important to choose a supplement that provides the correct dosage of iron for your needs.
3. Form: Iron supplements come in various forms, including tablets, capsules, and liquid. Choose a form that is easy for you to take and does not cause any discomfort or digestive issues.
4. Quality: Look for a supplement that has been third-party tested for purity and potency. This ensures that you are getting a high-quality product that is free of contaminants.
The Down Low on Gentle Iron Supplements
But what exactly is a “gentle” iron supplement, and is it different from other iron supplements? In general, gentle iron is preferable to other variants. Most people prefer gentle iron because it’s easier on the gut.
Gentle iron is a medication or a supplement that is important to prevent low blood levels of iron. Unlike chelated iron, gentle iron is free and not bound to non-metallic ions; thus, it does not cause serious constipation or digestive issues. Therefore, this type of supplement is the perfect choice for a sensitive stomach. The formula of gentle iron is different from other chelated iron supplements, and this supplement contains both heme and non-heme iron that can enhance absorption while minimizing gastrointestinal side effects.
Learn More about Gentle Iron Supplements from Five Journeys
Iron deficiency is a serious issue that can affect your quality of life. Iron is an essential mineral that plays a critical role in many bodily functions. Iron deficiency can lead to many symptoms, including fatigue, shortness of breath, pale skin, weakness, brittle nails, and headaches.
Iron supplements, especially gentle iron supplements, are an effective way to treat iron deficiency and can help alleviate these symptoms. When choosing an iron supplement, it is important to consider the type of iron, dosage, form, and quality to ensure that you are getting a high-quality product that meets your needs.